South Africa - Day 3


Hey everyone!

It is day three here in South Africa and this place continues to amaze me, it is hands down the most beautiful country I have ever been to. Palm trees line the streets and the drive to the field looks like it came out of a scene from the Lion King…exactly what you pictured, right?!  The streets and cars are backwards and kids ride in the back of pick up trucks on the highways, but other than that, it is everything I had expected and more. 

We were scheduled to play against South Africa last night as our first exhibition game and it was quite the night.  Our game was originally scheduled for 5PM, got moved to 7PM, then after warming up for two hours, we were stuck waiting for another game to end, an hour later we finally stepped onto the field, forty minutes later, they called the game because they couldn’t turn the lights on.  So after all that, we ended up playing South Africa this morning at 10AM.  It was great to get the team together in a game-like atmosphere a few days before our tournament begins.  We started off strong and ended up winning upwards of 15-0. 

On the way to the field this morning, Coach Foti brought the team together and had a little announcement.  He asked us who would like to go on a safari on Tuesday…an African safari…in a four-wheeler…for $75 each…WHO WOULDN’T SAY YES?! We could not have been more excited.  How many times is someone presented with the opportunity to go on a safari in Africa for $75? I can’t wait. 

The Internet situation hasn’t gotten any better.  My roommate and I decided to split the cost of buying a pass for 395 Rand (so about $28 each), which isn’t too bad.  It is still sketchy and unreliable, but it is better than nothing and allows me to do all of my online homework assignments. 

Here are a few pictures I've taken thus far...
The view from our hotel.

A view from the bus, the classic "Lion King" trees

One of our practice fields...basically an open pasture.
I'm working on getting more pictures.  Ones without glare from the bus window...Apparently we are going sight-seeing later today, so I'll be sure to get a few pictures and post them!

That's it for now...But now that I have Internet, I'm going to try and write on a more regular (daily) basis.

Can't wait for what's ahead!

GO CANADA!

Victoria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instagram vs. Reality?: A Female Athlete’s Road to Recognition

Pan-American Games

Until Next Summer.....