A New Perspective


Hey Everyone!

I finally have a minute to sit down and write.  Since blogging last we have played against USA and Botswana, losing to the Americans 11-4 and beating Botswana 7-0, each in five innings.  The game against the USA was brutal on both sides: errors, walks and poor execution all around.  With that game behind us, we came out and scored seven runs against Botswana.  Although they might not have been the strongest team, a win is a win.  Tonight at 5:30 we are playing Puerto Rico.  For the past three years, many of my teammates have called the Puerto Ricans our “rivals”.  Many important games have come down to a face off between the two of us.  Most recently, in Bogota last summer, Canada triumphed and went on to participate in the championship game against the US.  Playing Puerto Rico is always a big game: full of emotion and intensity…I can’t wait to get onto the field later tonight.

Having been in Cape Town for over a week now, I wish I could say I have seen the entire city.  Yes, I have seen the beautiful, historical Robben Island and the amazing wildlife associated with this region, but I have only seen a glimpse of the many problems this entire country faces.  Yesterday, I saw that small glimpse…my roommate and I were relaxing in our room when the maid came in to clean.  We politely told her that cleaning the entire room wasn’t necessary, and we just asked for a few clean towels.  She handed us the towels but before she left, she pointed to the desk in our room and said, “next time don’t throw fruit away, you can give it to us and we’ll eat it”.  I looked over into our trashcan and saw a soft, bruised apple.  In the United States and Canada, we don’t traditionally eat bruised fruit.  We toss it aside and look for that perfectly ripened banana or firm, green apple.  I felt so greedy and snobby that it sickened me.  Instinctively, I handed her two oranges and an apple I saw on the opposite side of the desk, thinking to myself “she would appreciate this a whole lot more than I would”.  I forgot that the fruit sitting there wasn’t actually mine to give away, but after hearing the story, my roommate felt the same way. 

Yes, we have driven by neighborhoods of shacks and tarp tents, but it seems surreal.  We find ourselves so drastically separated from it.  Because of that it seems fake…like a crazy view rather than someone’s reality.  It is truly humbling how much South Africans appreciate the little things…a rubber bracelet, power bar, or even a smile and a wave. 

My favorite part about this sort of event is meeting so many amazing people.  Whether it is players from different countries, our batboy Damien, our host Candace, or the fans that so loyally come to our games…They are all such wonderful people and I am so grateful to have met here in South Africa.
 
African Elephant
The cutest lion ever, Maya
Gorgeous view from Robben Island
My girl Natalie and I on Robben Island
Now, it’s just about time for lunch.  Game time in about five hours!

GO CANADA!

Victoria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instagram vs. Reality?: A Female Athlete’s Road to Recognition

Pan-American Games

Until Next Summer.....