It all begins tomorrow...


Hey Everyone!

I can’t believe the tournament officially begins tomorrow.  We have been in South Africa for almost a week now and everyone seems to have finally adjusted to the time change and new environment.  We just had our final exhibition game against the Aussies, and ended up losing 2-1.  Here’s a quick recap: we started the game off with a double by Jenny Gilbert and a double by myself, scoring our only run.  We held off the Aussies until the bottom of the third inning when they hit back-to-back bombs.  Not just homeruns that barely clear the fence, but bombs…the kind of homerun you don’t even need to watch go over, because you just know.  Our team played well, and I had forgotten how much fun I have playing with this group of girls.  We are always laughing, joking and having a great time, while maintaining our focus.  That game was it for our exhibition series.  After beating South Africa and losing to the Aussies, every game from here on out counts, and is crucial to our standings in the tournament.  Tomorrow is the Opening Ceremonies and games begin on Thursday, December 8th. 

Tomorrow is the day.  The day my teammates and I have all been waiting for.  The day of our African safari!  We are leaving the hotel at the crack of dawn and heading out on a ninety-minute bus ride to the safari place (I’m not sure what it’s called).  Judging by what Kylee Lahners, my teammate at Washington – and member of Team USA, had to say, it is going to be the experience of a lifetime.  I can hardly imagine what it will be like.  All that comes to mind is a crazy combination of a real life Lion King and trip to the zoo.  The only thing I know for sure is that it will be the experience of a lifetime, and I will be blown away.  I mean, how could you not be blown away seeing any one of these animals: a rhinoceros, zebra, lion, tiger, ostrich or giraffe – less than twenty feet away – without any cages or fences. 

Our day begins early tomorrow morning, breakfast at 6:30AM and it is already almost midnight here, so I’ll have to cut this one a bit short.

Thank you all for following & GO CANADA!

Victoria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instagram vs. Reality?: A Female Athlete’s Road to Recognition

Pan-American Games

Until Next Summer.....