Lions, rhinos and wildebeests...oh my!


Wednesday December 7, 2011

Hey Everyone!

I just got back from our safari and a little batting practice.  After getting up super early this morning and driving an hour and a half to the safari place, we unloaded the bus, registered and walked into the caged park.  Waiting for us was a huge four-wheeler with four rows of seats and a small overhead cover.  The minute my teammates and I saw the four-wheeler, we sprinted to get our seats.  I landed myself a perfect spot, front and center.  I made sure to avoid the outside seats – just in case of a freak animal attack J.  Our ranger, Aubrey, introduced himself and started the vehicle up, it sounded like an old, rickety lawnmower.  The huge engine was working away, climbing over boulders, small trees and everything in its’ path.  It probably looked like one of those heavy duty Ford pickup truck commercials and felt like we were on the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland…it was awesome.  We saw the big five: rhinos, wildebeests, elephants, lions and a buffalo-thing with crazy horns (I don’t remember the name) along with zebras, ostriches, the African-version of deer, and so much more.  The highlight of the safari, by far, was when our ranger veered off the dirt/stone path and allowed us to exit the vehicle.  He walked into a caged area and Aubrey started playing with the two cutest lions I had ever seen.  He had been raising them for nineteen months now, since they were four months old.  They wrestled, cuddled, and played with each other like puppies and their owner.  Monster and Maya (the lions) were pretty good size but they were still adorable…and made me want to buy a little lion cub of my own.


Thursday December 8, 2011:
Opening ceremonies were last night and I finally got to see my Dad!  He has been roaming South Africa solo; driving through the country in his little rental car, encountering wild lions, monkeys and the whole nine yards.  This is the first time anyone from my family has come to an event of this scale and it is by far the most amazing place I’ve ever been.

Tonight is our first game, against the Americans.  I feel like I know them so well, but this game is crucial in setting the tone for the rest of our tournament. 

Our game is at 7:30PM in South Africa…AKA 5:30AM PST so if anyone is awake and is interested in watching a live stream…here is the link courtesy of Coach Tarr (thank you!) http://jwwc2011.co.za/live-streaming/ To check on game schedules: http://jwwc2011.co.za/tournament/schedule/ and time zone conversions: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=56.

We’ve got a big night ahead of us…so time for a nap!

GO CANADA!

Victoria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instagram vs. Reality?: A Female Athlete’s Road to Recognition

Pan-American Games

Until Next Summer.....