One down, nine to go


Hey Everyone!

WE BEAT PUERTO RICO 10-2!

I thought about phrasing that many different ways, but why not get right to the point, eh? The game was pretty crazy, so much offense!  One of my teammates, Kaleigh Rafter, who we jokingly and appropriately call “Raf-star” was on fire, with half of our RBIs (runs batted in), scoring me twice.  The highlight of the game, in my opinion, was my web gem in the third inning.  In my latest blog I mentioned the conditions of the outfield, but I hereby take all of that back, I absolutely love it!  I was playing right field, normal depth when a ball was crushed over my head, hands down a home run on a regulation size field.  Remember those 240-foot fences?  Boy did they end up helping me out!  With at least twenty yards to go until I smashed into the cement wall, now graciously padded with two inches of hard foam, I turned my head and sprinted back.  With about 8 feet until the wall, I reached out my glove; almost face planted, and made the catch with just enough time to brace myself before running into the wall.  If I had dropped the ball…it could have easily been a triple or in the park home run.  So I’m claiming I robbed my first home run J.  From then on, it was all Canada.  We scored 7 runs in that inning and cut the game short via the mercy rule.  I couldn’t be more proud of my teammates and with a double header later today against Venezuela and Cuba, we are definitely headed in the right direction.

The Village has been awesome so far.  There’s unlimited Gatorade, Powerade, Sprite, Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, Fruit by the Foot, chocolate milk and Nature Valley bars.  Overall, the food served in the dining hall has been pretty good, the Mexican food they make is delicious; the food only gets a bit sketchy when the cooks try to make cuisine of the other delegations.  There’s an athlete’s lounge with a TV broadcasting each medal game in real time and a room with a Wii and Xbox, stocked with the best games.  There has only been one problem with the Village thus far, sewage.... 
When signs like these have been posted above every toilet in the Village since day 2, you know there's a problem.  There is a river of sewage that runs through the middle of the Village.  Everyday when walking to the dining hall, buses, or International Village, we cross this river.  I have never smelt anything worse in my life, but hey, if the toilets are still flushing, I think we will be just fine.

We've got a big day ahead of us with two games, but I can't wait :)

GO CANADA!

Love,

Victoria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instagram vs. Reality?: A Female Athlete’s Road to Recognition

Pan-American Games

Until Next Summer.....